Afropunk Festival returns to Brooklyn this weekend (click here for some style inspiration), so why not kick your beauty game up with some truly bold, bada** statement lips? I created these three tutorials just for you, and not only are they easy, but you can put them together in 10 minutes or less! For maximum impact, pair these lippies with a wispy cat-eye, hoop earrings and a faux septum ring.
A few things you’ll need:
1. A clean, small flat top eyeshadow brush or lip brush
2. Concealer (preferably a thick formula that matches your skin tone)
3. Cotton swabs
4. Acrylic gemstones (purchase from any craft store)
NOTE: For best results, exfoliate your lips and moisturize with a balm first to ensure you have a smooth base. Use a long-wearing liquid lipstick as a base or try a lipstick primer and use your concealer and a cotton swab around the edges of your lips to blend out any mistakes.
Editor’s picks: ILIA Beauty Balmy Nights ($26), Eco Lips Mongo Kiss ($7.65) and Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer ($48)
LOOK ONE: Summer Creamsicle
1. Line top and bottom lips with a vibrant pink liner
2. Apply a semi-matte pink lipstick to the bottom half of your bottom lip and to the top half of your top lip
3. Fill the remaining portion in with a semi-matte, sherbert-orange lipstick
4. Lightly press your lips together to create a soft ombré look
Editor’s picks: Smashbox Always Sharp Lip Liner in Fuschia ($20), NYX Cosmetics High Voltage Lipstick in Privileged ($5.99),\ and NYX Cosmetics Macaron Lippie in Orange Blossom ($5.99)
LOOK TWO: Gold Dust
1. Fill in top lip with an opaque black lipstick
2. Fill in bottom lip two-thirds of the way up with a shimmery gold eyeshadow stick
3. Fill in the remaining top-third with the same black lipstick
4. Using your eyeshadow or lip brush, lightly blend the line of demarcation together using a short, dragging motion
5. Optional (go for it!): add gold glitter to the perimeter of the bottom and top lips
LOOK THREE: Intergalactic Nights
1. Create a thick line around the perimeter of your top and bottom lip with a black lipstick and eyeliner or lip brush
2. Fill in the center of the top and bottom lips with an electric purple lipstick
3. Gently press lips together to blend the two colors
4. Use a pearlescent champagne lip gloss in the center of your bottom and top lips, and then lightly press lips together again to blend
5. Optional (go for it!): Create some added drama by applying eyelash glue to the back of an acrylic gemstone and place it between the apex of your top lip
Editor’s Picks: Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in Weirdo ($18), NYX Cosmetics Wicked Lippies in Immortal ($6.00), Nars Vent Salé Lip Gloss ($26)
And there you have it! Follow me on Instagram @thebrittmiddleton and tag me in your posts using #brealbeauty!
Click here to enter the #LookYourSundayBest contest for a chance to win FREE natural hair-care products.
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
(Photos: Britt Middleton/BET)