BET Music Matters artist Skyzoo is gearing up to release his latest mixtape, The Great Debater. Presented by 9th Wonder and Jamla Records, the free project will be available for download today [June 7] at noon.
Light on the features but heavy on the lyricism, The Great Debater is expected to carry on the legacy the Brooklyn MC established for himself with the acclaimed Corner Store Classics project released in 2007.
Producer 9th Wonder, formerly of Little Brother, co-signs Zoo's efforts. "He really believes and I believe…for a long time now, that you're not going to get what I'm saying until five years down the road," says Wonder of Sky's lyrical content in a video preview for the upcoming project. "It's like, I go back to some of the things he's saying and I call him sometimes like 'Hey man, I wasn't really listening.' I listened to the flow, I listened to the beat but what you were actually saying was groundbreaking."
According to Skyzoo, The Great Debater is expected to not only live up to his past works but surpass them as far as content. "The project is super lyrical," Skyzoo told BET.com. "Some people don't believe when I say that some of the tracks on this project are way more lyrical than some of my old work, but it is. And sonically it's different than anything else I've put out."
Skyzoo, who debuted as a Music Matters artist in 2010, says he's not worried about people missing the message, not even on songs as lyrically hefty as "The Definitive Prayer," a heavy-hitting yet jazzy single set to the tune of David Axelrod's "Holy Thursday" (1969). "Having to come back and listen to a song over again and discovering something you didn't hear the first time is a good problem to have," he said.
Thematically, the project ties together the stories of struggle and the end goal of winning. For a young Skyzoo growing up with the harsh realities of Bed-Stuy, the fictional cookie-cutter Huxtable family of The Cosby Show featured on the project's cover art represented that endpoint. However, this project isn't a stopping point, it's a stepping stone.
The release concert for the project will take place tonight at Brooklyn's Public Assembly at 7 p.m. Special guests include fellow Music Matters artist The Kid Daytona, Jasmine Solano and Naturel.
The mixtape will be available for download at www.skyzoo718.com at noon.
1. Complicated Rhythm (Prod. By Best Kept Secret)
2. Rap Like Me (Prod. By Eric G.)
3. Written In the Drums (Prod. By Swiff D)
4. Designer Drugs (Prod. By 9th Wonder)
5. Parade Me (Prod. By Fatin)
6. We Here (Prod. By Best Kept Secret)
7. Atypical (Prod. By !llmind)
8. Expensive Habits (feat. Jesse Boykins III) (Prod. By 14KT)
9. Until It All Goes (feat. Manhattan) (Prod. By C-Sick)
10. Test Drive (Prod. By !llmind)
11. Inheritance (Prod. By E. Jones)
12. Get Him to the Greek (Prod. By 9th Wonder)
13. Could've Struck the Lotto
14. For the Awake (feat. King Mez) (Prod. By Oh No)
15. For the Sleepers (Reinterpreted By E. Jones)
16. The Definitive Prayer