The Bawse is back. Rick Ross has been laying low since his well-publicized health scare on October 14, when he suffered two seizures while en route to a show in Memphis. Though his associates and friends insisted he'd fully recovered, Ross hasn't appeared in public for over two weeks, and only vaguely commented about his health via Twitter last Friday. But all that is set to change tonight, when Ross will appear on BET's 106 & Park. Rozay discussed the seizures, his recovery, 50 Cent, an upcoming collabo with Jay-Z and more in an interview with hosts Terrence J and Rocsi, set to air on BET tonight at 6 p.m.
Ross detailed the fateful day he suffered the two seizures, and explained why he decided to continue his trip to Memphis after the first seizure—a move many criticized. "On the flight I had a seizure, and when I snapped out of it and they told me what had happened, I'm like, 'You bugging. Call a jet; we finna keep it moving,'" he recalled. "Growing up and hearing about seizures, you know they can be violent: You bust vessels, you bite your tongue up, and this and that. In my case it was none of that. I felt a little wore out, but I felt like I could keep going and that's what it was."
Ross says a conversation with a doctor after his second seizure made him realize that his non-stop work ethic was affecting his health. "I had another seizure, and when I snapped out of that one I woke up in front of a doctor," he remembered. "He asked me, 'When was the last time you slept eight hours?' And I said, 'Man, it had to be at least five years.' Being the fastest-growing label in the game, wanting to be the number-one label in the game, it come with a lot of sacrifices, and in my case it was sleep. I would get two hours of sleep and keep moving, you know what I'm saying? Being a hustler—and that has to stop."
However, despite the scary incident, Ross says he's in good health overall. "I was fortunate... The doctor [ran] a battery of tests on me, cancer, diabetes, HIV, etc., and I came back totally healthy," he told the Livest Audience. "It was a case of me not getting enough rest, just not getting enough sleep, so I had to fix that."
Ross also addressed his long-time arch-nemesis 50 Cent, who in the days after the seizures said he hoped that Ross would take care of himself. "If it was genuine, I appreciate it," Rozay said. "And if that's the case, I thank you, homie."
"It's all about us just taking care of ourselves," he continued. "Coming from where I come from, coming from the hood, and being put in the position [I'm in], it makes no sense to become a multi-millionaire and not be here to enjoy it with your family and your loved ones. I'ma stay focused and I'ma make sure I do the right thing."
When asked by Rocsi what he was doing to prevent another seizure—or worse—Ross said, "Well, since then I just been relaxing, spending time with my family, my loved ones, and just taking a chill for a little... I'ma just make sure I get me some some naps here and there and I'ma get my sleep in."
Still, the man who once rapped "every day I'm hustlin'" insists he'll still be on the grind—and revealed an upcoming collaboration with Jay-Z as an example. "I won't completely stop hustling, you know what I mean?" he said. "Against the doctor's orders, soon as I got home, I was supposed to be on bed rest, but actually me and Jay-Z finished the biggest collaboration that we've ever done together for my album. I just feel like when you have a vision or when you have a dream, only you could really see that through."
Ross was extremely grateful for the outpouring of support he received from fans and other celebrities. "I just want to thank all the fans and the supporters," he said. "The letters that came, the support that came, the energy that came, I mean from everybody—from Chuck D to Reggie Bush, Birdman—everybody just showed me so much love, so much support. But I do it for the fans, so I want to thank y'all."
To catch the full interview, tune into 106th & Park tonight on BET at 6 p.m.
(Photo: John Ricard / BET)
TRENDING IN NEWS