Officer Jovaniel Cordova and Sergeant Mourad Mourad were sued multiple times for civil rights violations.
Officer Jovaniel Cordova was sued twice in 2011 and Sergeant Mourad Mourad was sued three times in 2007, according to WNYC. The city settled these cases out of court paying out $215,000 to the victims.
“Our clients’ interactions with Sgt. Mourad and Officer Cordova expose a disturbing pattern of unconstitutional and aggressive stop-and-frisk practices,” lawyer Brett Klein, who filed four of the five suits, told the Daily News.
“In each case, Mourad and Cordova attempted to cover up their misconduct by falsifying and fabricating evidence.”
The Daily News reports:
The suits are:
• Derek Franks received a $92,500 settlement for a suit against Mourad and other unidentified cops, alleging he was illegally stopped and frisked on May 7, 2007. He spent four months in Rikers Island until charges were dropped.
• Andre Maraj and Dary Harville each received $22,500 settlements, which alleged they were falsely arrested by Mourad and others. Harville claimed he was “slammed” into a car.
• Jontel Sebbern received $20,000 stemming from his arrest after a car stop. He was ordered out of the car by Mourad and others, who frisked him and pulled his pants and underwear.
“You can take me to the precinct but you’re not going in my underwear here,” Sebbern told the cops, says the complaint.
• Peter Owusu pocketed $22,500 for the “emotional distress” he suffered as a result of a car stop and arrest by Cordova. Owusu claims he was placed face down in a puddle and handcuffed. He later pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.
• Steve Morency got $35,000 after accusing Cordova of an illegal stop inside an E. 17th St. building. Morency claimed he was punched in the face and needed three stitches to close a cut above his eye.
Read the full story here.
Officer Cordova and Sergeant Mourad Mourad have both been placed on desk duty while the NYPD and Brooklyn District attorney's office investigates the deadly shooting.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Get ready for the BET Experience, featuring Beyoncé, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Erykah Badu, Kendrick Lamar and many more. Go here for more details and info on how to buy tickets.
(Photo: EPA/JUSTIN LANE /LANDOV)