[Look] Blogger’s Eyes Are Swollen Shut After Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye

[Look] Blogger’s Eyes Are Swollen Shut After Allergic Reaction to Hair Dye

And it came from a common chemical used in most hair dyes.

Published March 22nd

A trip to the hair salon turned into a frightening trip to the emergency room for 34-year-old health and beauty blogger Chemese Armstrong. The blogger tried to experiment with henna, a natural hair dye. However, after an adverse reaction, it was clear that the henna contained paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a chemical that Armstrong was severely allergic to.

PPD is a chemical that, according to Armstrong, “is a dark dye used in almost every hair color on the market, regardless of brand.” After realizing that she had been given a hair dye that contains PPD, Armstrong posted her reaction photos on Instagram. The images show that her face was swollen to the point of no recognition. Armstrong admitted to posting the photos in order to remain “as transparent as possible” with her followers.

If you been following me for a while you know that I tried to be as transparent as possible. You will also know that my 100 days of just juice and smoothies has been very important to me. Today is day 100!!! The past couple of days has been extremely rough. I mention before that I die my hair with Henna because of my research and what I was told that it was supposed to be completely natural and chemical free but it wasn't and I had a severe allergic reaction as you can see from the pictures. I'm not posting this for any advice or any negative comments. I'm fully aware of what these pictures look like. I had to endure this nightmare. If you do not have anything nice to say please keep strolling. I want to let everyone that pray for me or send me well-wishes know what was going on. I was in severe pain from my scalp burning and itching with my face completely's swollen to the point I was unrecognisable. The most scary part about this whole thing is that my eyes was completely swollen shut where I couldn't see for 2 days. My doctor was afraid that it was going to start affecting my breathing which that didn't happen and as of today my eyes are open and I can see again but my face is still very swollen (I don't look like myself). I'm not in any more pain and I feel things are heading in the right direction. I hate that this had to happen but now I'm even more focus on making sure that my health is number one priority. Once I get back to looking like myself again I will make a more detailed video on my YouTube channel. Thanks again for all the love, support, and well wishes.

A photo posted by Chemese (@chemese) on

Armstrong, upset with her resulting appearance, pleaded with followers to keep their comments friendly and positive as she admitted to suffering from extreme pain and loss of vision for two days straight. It’s unfortunate that she endured such a terrible reaction from a dye to that she was told was free of all chemicals. 

Although she has not yet heard back from the Austin salon where she first received her treatment, she hopes that her experience will encourage others to properly research the products that they use. After Chemese’s face returned to its normal appearance, she made a YouTube video recounting the ordeal.

(Photo: Chemese Armstrong via Facebook)

Written by Rachel Herron

COMMENTS

Latest in news