(Photo: SNJ Today)
A Black high school wrestler in New Jersey was humiliated and subjected to racial discrimination when a white referee with a history of racism forced him to cut his dreadlocks or forfeit his match.
Andrew Johnson, from Buena High School in Atlantic County, was competing in a dual meet Thursday night against Oakcrest when referee Alan Maloney gave him the disgusting ultimatum, reported SNJ Today News.
Back in 2016, Alan Maloney used the n-word at a social gathering during an argument over homemade wine. After Maloney used the slur, Preston Hamilton, who is a Black wrestling official, slammed Maloney to the ground.
Although Maloney claimed to have learned his lesson, his decision to force Johnson to either chop off his hair or make his team suffer a loss proves his prejudice still exists. Usually when a wrestler has long hair, they are allowed to compete with a wrap over his head; however, Maloney made Johnson essentially choose between his culture and his team.
Video of Thursday's incident showed Johnson visibly upset while a team trainer cuts off his dreadlocks with scissors. After Johnson’s victory, Maloney raised his hand in victory for a brief moment before the upset teen walked away.
The viral video quickly sparked outrage on social media from many people who believe Maloney is unfit to be a high school wrestling official.
What’s more, New Jersey recently became the first mid-Atlantic state to offer girls wrestling, meaning there will be even more competitors with long hair. Will they also be required to cut off their hair, or is that a punishment reserved for Mr. Johnson?
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024