(Photo by Brian Ach/Getty Images for Time)
The Academy can cross Chris Rock's name off of its list of potential hosts for the 2019 Academy Awards as the comedian recently denied any interest in the now controversial hosting gig.
According to Variety, during the New York Film Critics Circle Awards dinner in Manhattan on Monday night, Rock made it known that he cannot host the A-list event, today, given the apparent sensitivity of the country.
"If it was five years ago, I could say something really offensive and funny right now, but I can't do that anymore, so... hey!" he said at the podium.
While before the crowd, he caught eyes with Steve Martin and immediately seemed to have an "aha moment," which he then voiced to the audience.
"Steve Martin is here!" he said. "You should host the Oscars. You're the best. Steve Martin should host the Oscars! Because I'm not doing it, goddammit! You're not getting me."
His comments come just after Kevin Hart excused himself as the first choice to host the show after he refused to apologize — for a second time, in his eyes — for past homophobic comments he made during a stand-up routine.
If Rock were to host this year's show, after all, it would mark his third time doing so. He's emceed the event first in 2005 and again in 2016.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024