Kobe Bryant’s Estate Gets $400 Million Cut In Multi-Billion Dollar BodyArmor Sale

A $6 million early investment in the sports drink company netted a hefty amount years later.

The estate of NBA legend Kobe Bryant is seeing a lucrative return on an investment he made years before he passed away.

In 2014, Bryan invested $6 million in sports drink company BodyArmor as one of its early backers, which bought him more than 10 percent of the company. But on Monday, Atlanta-based Coca Cola Corp., which already owned 85 percent of the company purchased the remaining 15 percent in a $5.6 billion cash deal.

That means Bryant’s estate profits $400 million on the deal, CBS News reports. Coke announced the purchase on Monday at 8:24 a.m., honoring the two numbers he wore while playing for the Los Angeles Lakers from 1996-2016.

"If it wasn't for Kobe Bryant's vision and belief, BodyArmor would not have been able to achieve the success we had,” BodyArmor co-founder Mike Repole said in a statement. Coke said BodyArmor is the No. 2 sports drink brand, second only behind Gatorade.

RELATED: Vanessa Bryant Wins Ruling Ordering L.A. Officials To Testify About Kobe Crash Photos

RELATED: Vanessa Bryant Shares New Details About Moment She Learned Of Kobe And Gianna’s Deaths

Brooklyn Nets guard James Harden and the Phoenix Mercury guard Skylar Diggins-Smith also invested in the sports drinks but it’s unclear how much they will profit.

Bryant, 41, was killed in a helicopter crash January 26, 2020 along with daughter Gianna, 13 and seven other passengers and a pilot in the hills near Los Angeles.

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.

By clicking Subscribe, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. You also agree to receive marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers) and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. You understand that you can unsubscribe at any time.