Photo: TPN/Getty Images
Naomi Osaka continued to dominate the women's tennis world Saturday (Feb. 20) as she defeated Jennifer Brady 6-4, 6-3 in straight sets to win the 2021 Australian Open.
With the victory, the 23-year-old star improved to an incredible 4-0 in Grand Slam finals. In doing so, Osaka won six consecutive games and won the final in less than one-and-a-half hours.
"You don't go into a final wanting to be the runner-up. For me, I feel like every opportunity that I play a Slam is an opportunity to win a Slam," she said after the match, according to ESPN. "So I think maybe I put that pressure on myself too much, but honestly, it's working out in my favor right now."
Osaka hit serves reaching 122 mph and produced six aces. She became the first woman to win her first four major finals since Monica Seles did it 30 years ago.
Osaka now boasts an impressive 12-0 record in quarterfinals, semifinals and finals at the majors.
The 2020 AP Female Athlete of the Year is also on a 21-match winning streak that dates to last season and includes her championship at last year's US Open. She also won the Australian Open in 2019.
"What I have learned on and off the court is it's OK to not be sure about yourself,” she said. “For me, I feel like I've always forced myself to, like, be 'strong' or whatever. I think if you're not feeling OK, it's OK to not feel OK. But you have to sort of go within yourself and figure things out in a way."
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024