Update: Officers Involved in Freddie Gray's Fatal Injuries Are Suspended

Freddie Gray, of Baltimore, is dead days after an arrest that left him in a coma and with spinal and voice-box injuries. Part of the fatal officer-involved incident was captured on camera by a bystander.

UPDATE 4/21/15 11:00 a.m: 

Six officers involved in Freddie Gray's fatal injuries during his arrest have been suspended. An autopsy report released Monday states that Gray's spinal injuries led to his death. But so many questions are left unanswered in why Gray was arrested and how his spine became "80 percent severed," according to his lawyer, while in a Baltimore police vehicle.

"When Mr. Gray was put in that van, he could talk, he was upset. And when he was taken out of that van, he could not talk and he could not breathe," Deputy Police Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said.
New details were revealed Monday from a police report that stated Gray's feet were shackled with leg irons after he was placed in a paddy wagon and that Gray repeatedly asked for medical attention, the Baltimore Sun reports. A paramedic was not called until 30 minutes after the van left the scene. Police also stopped to pick up another prisoner during the ride.

Gray reportedly ran when he first encountered police, who then chased him down. The knife that he was carrying was not found until police stopped and searched Gray. "It is not necessarily probable cause to chase someone. So, we still have questions," Baltimore's mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, said Monday at a news conference.


National attention has been brought to Freddie Gray, of Baltimore, who died days after an arrest that left him in a coma and with spinal injuries and voice box injuries. Part of the fatal officer-involved incident was captured on camera by a bystander.

However a police report stated Gray was taken in without "force or incident," the Baltimore Sun reports. Gray was stopped by police officers on Sunday April 12 because he "fled unprovoked upon noticing police presence." He was carrying a knife in his pants pocket and was arrested, according to the police report.

Gray's family and city officials are calling for answers. Protests were held Sunday and Monday following news of the 25-year-old's death. Gray underwent surgery on three broken vertebrae and on his voice box on Tuesday. But doctors' efforts were not enough for Gray to recover from his injuries. 
In the video that went viral, Gray is on the ground and police attempt to pick him up. Gray's leg appears to be broken as he can not stand up on his own. He screams out as police drag him to a vehicle. 

Baltimore's mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, said Monday the State Attorney's Office is working with the Baltimore police department to investigate Gray's death. She is also calling on the Department of Justice for an independent investigation. 

"We can't just depend on as the attorney for Mr. Gray says, you know the police looking at the police.  And we don't depend on that," Rawlings-Blake said on MSNBC's Morning Joe Monday.
Follow Natelege Whaley on Twitter: @Natelege_.
BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 

(Photo: Algerina Perna/The Baltimore Sun via AP)

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.

By clicking Subscribe, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. You also agree to receive marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers) and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. You understand that you can unsubscribe at any time.