On Friday, Former NFL player Kellen Winslow II pleaded not guilty to multiple felony charges, including rape, burglary with intent to rape, and indecent exposure.
The criminal complaint against the former tight end highlights five alleged offenses. He faces life in prison if convicted. Despite the serious charges and potential prison time Winslow faces, his wife, Janelle, is standing by his side.
According to the San Diego Tribune, all of the female victims in the complaint range between ages 54 and 86, Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens said during the hearing.
The first two alleged victims said they were raped after getting into a vehicle, while two other elderly women alleged a man had entered the mobile home with the intent to rape.
The charges in the complaint include:
Kidnap, rape and forced oral copulation of a 54-year-old woman in March;
Kidnap, rape and sodomy of a 59-year-old woman in May;
Indecent exposure in May (the victim was a 55-year-old woman);
Burglary with the intent to rape a 71-year-old woman in June; and
Burglary with the intent to rape an 86-year-old woman in June.
After the hearing, Winslow II’s father, Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow, and Janelle issued the following statement:
“On behalf of our son and my husband, we want to reiterate our love, support and affection for him during this difficult process. We will always be there for him and we know the true facts will come out.”
The most recent incident occurred during the June 7 case which resulted in Winslow’s arrest for attempted burglary. Although his publicist at the time said an “over reactive neighbor” called the police on Winslow II, police say he entered with intent to rape.
During that incident, a neighbor called police when she saw a man enter a mobile home where an 86-year-old woman was sleeping. According to the neighbor, the man left the mobile home without wearing a shirt and drove away.
“The San Diego Sheriff’s Department, in the investigation of each of these separately reported incidents, did an excellent job tying all the leads together, being able to conduct a thorough investigation, which ultimately led to our ability to charge in this case,” the Deputy District Attorney said after the hearing.
In the cases of alleged rape, both victims reportedly got into a vehicle and were driven to a remote location.
The first victim — who had been hitchhiking — reported that the assailant “told her if she screamed, he would murder her,” Owens said of the March 17 attack.
During a different incident in May, a 55-year-old woman was gardening when attempted to follow her into her home. She “turned around and saw him two feet behind her with his erect penis exposed,” Owens said.
She ran inside and called authorities with her husband. The incident is charged as a misdemeanor indecent exposure.
Owens said there is a possibility of other victims. He encouraged other possible victims to come forward and report allegations to the Sheriff’s Department.
(Photo: Stephen Shugerman/Getty Images)