Women are expected to juggle all aspects of life perfectly while never breaking a sweat. In Kelly Rowland's new book, Whoa Baby: A Guide for New Moms Who Feel Overwhelmed and Freaked Out (And Wonder What the #*$& Just Happened) the music legend imparts wisdom she's acquired after adjusting to life as a wife and mom.
Rowland gave birth to her son, Titan, in 2014. Shortly thereafter, she lost her mother.
“When Titan was born, there was so much love in the room. I was speechless. He took my breath away. [But] It was a tough, emotional point for me. I remember not wanting to be sad for Titan. I wanted to keep myself together because I believe that all that stress and grief can be passed on to your baby. Knowing Titan needed me, and having that to focus on, helped me through,” she said, reflecting on the event.
These are the lessons Kelly learned on her journey toward motherhood:
1. Patience, both in matters of parenting and general life, can change your overall perspective.
2. Flexibility is paramount. There's no reason to beat yourself up over canceling plans — no matter what, your child comes first (and you shouldn't feel sorry for that).
3. Motherhood is a coven. Just as you needed your mother, connect with other mothers to give you a support system.
4. Baby comes first, but definitely make time for your boo.
5. Breastfeeding is not for everyone — and the reasons it might not work for you are not your fault.
6. Figure out the right sleep system that works for your baby — and namely, one that works for you, too.
7. It takes a while to get into the "rhythm" of being a parent — don't stress while on your journey to finding yours.
8. It's not all about the snapback. Respect the enormous effort your body has expended on this process. “It takes about a year to get the weight off. Don’t beat yourself up if it takes even longer. Write on your mirror in lipstick: ‘I had a baby. I’m a superhero,'” Rowland notes.
Whoa Baby by Kelly Rowland is out now.
(Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for March of Dimes)
For the past 10 years, Yusef has been dictating all of the beauty trends we emulate via his most famous client, none other than Rihanna. He started out his career as a performer, but he ended up behind the scenes. In Hairstory, he details his rise in the industry from aspiring singer to creative directing the hair for Fenty x Puma.