The handsome Idris Elba shows off the swag that’s helped make him a household name in dapper looks styled by Jo Levin and photographed by Anthony Mandler for GQ Britain June 2012. Earlier this year, the magazine named him one of the “50 Best Dressed Men in Britain” and they used the debonair pictures from his current shoot as a teachable moment to share style tips.
“For the smartest fresh summer look, choose a tone-on-tone shirt and tie combination,” they write with a picture of the actor in a top hat and grey suit matched with a lime button up and color coordinating tie.
“Don’t just think of the color of your shirt, consider the cut – a spread collar allows for a double Winsor knot,” says a tip that accompanies an image of Elba strutting in a dark pin striped suit with a briefcase and a cigar.
In another one of the actor’s looks, a bright pink shirt, tie and pocket square brighten up a dark suit, but the magazine cautions, “When choosing a pocket square go for a shade or two darker or lighter than your tie.” And on the subject of matching there’s this tip: "match the color of your cufflinks with that of your watch.”
In the issue Elba also talks about playing Nelson Mandela in the biopic A Long Walk to Freedom. “That is a lot of responsibility. It’s like being asked to play Jesus,” he said. He also addressed the rumors that he’s being considered to play James Bond. “It’s one of the most coveted roles in film," Elba said. "Anyone would dream of it. I’d be honored but I don’t think it will actually happen. I’m just happy with the idea of being associated with it.” His new film Prometheus hits theaters June 6.
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Courtesy GQ Magazine UK)
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024