Black Rob suffered a mild stroke, he revealed during an interview on Sirius XM’s Sway in the Morning earlier today. He shared the emotional story while addressing rumors that he’s on drugs.
“It ain’t no drugs, I’ll tell you that,” he said. “I had high blood pressure and being that I had that, that takes a lot out of a brotha.”
After a brief pause, he admitted, “I had a stroke, but I got over that. I can show you how to get over that.”
Although he didn’t give a direct timeline, Rob said that the stroke occurred while he was sleeping. Were it not for his baby’s mother finding him, the Harlem native might not be here today. Now, the former Bad Boy rapper takes 10 pills a day to keep his blood pressure under control. He also exercises, changed his diet and stopped drinking. “I had to stop everything. I’d come out, I’d drink. I just got tired of it.”
The 46-year-old, who doesn’t have health insurance, grew teary-eyed speaking about his recovery and encouraged other artists (rappers in particular) to make their health a priority. He details the stroke experience in a track called “Welcome to My Life,” off his new album, Genuine Article
“It’s a big step, being that I did that record,” he said. “It’s gonna hold me through a lot of stuff [and] help me beat this.”
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: MPI613/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images)
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024
- 6 Black-Owned Businesses HBCU Students Should ShopIn honor of Black History Month, we’ve compiled a list of Black-owned businesses students will love to shop.02/22/2024
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Malia Obama’s Decision To Drop Her Last Name Professionally"The Color Purple” star clapped back at critics saying, “This is a grown woman! Leave her alone.”02/22/2024
- Snoop Dogg Pays Tribute To His Brother Who Passed AwayBing Worthington, the legendary rapper’s half-brother, passed away on Feb 16.02/22/2024