Courtesy Natural Girls United
Karen Byrd, founder of Natural Girls United, has developed a custom line of dolls that actually look like us. After noticing a lack of reflective images in kid toys for Black children, Byrd set out on a mission to create dolls that remind little brown girls “that their beauty is beautiful.”
“There is a serious need for our young girls to be able to have dolls that look like them,” said Byrd. “It is something that affects their self-esteem and confidence, and how they view themselves,” she continues. “There have been quite a few studies done that show that African American boys and girls often think of Black dolls as bad and white dolls as good. If a child is constantly looking at images, dolls, television, books and magazines and is only seeing beauty as something or someone with non-ethnic features, they are going to assume that this is what beauty is.”
From locks to fros to twist-outs, Byrd offers it all. Check out her collection at NaturalGirlsUnited.com.
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Courtesy Natural Girls United)
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024
- Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign Sued For 'Unauthorized Interpolation' By Donna Summer's EstateThe lawsuit claims that the two artists used Summers "I Feel Love" without permission on their track "Good (Don't Die)" from their album “Vultures 1.”02/28/2024
- BET Talks: Torrei Hart Says She Phoned Ex-Husband Kevin Hart ‘Out Of Respect’ When She Decided To Join Katt Williams On Tour“There are children involved. I’m not out here to be messy at all,” she told BET.02/28/2024
- Lynda Gravátt, Acclaimed Broadway and Television Actress, Dies at 76The award-winning actress appeared in several productions on stages in New York and played a pivotal role in the Washington D.C., theater community.02/28/2024
- Rihanna And A$AP Rocky Star In New Fenty Short FilmThis power couple is unstoppable!02/28/2024
- Chanel Iman and NFL Star Davon Godchaux Tie the Knot in Romantic Caribbean Yacht Wedding"Together we will continue to move mountains and love each other through thick and thin,” said the supermodel.02/28/2024