And you thought your family drama was bad.
Stephanie Hicks probably won't be sending her dad a card this Father's Day. In fact, the Texas native is airing out her family feud on social media after her father sent her a letter shaming her for dating a Black man. Hicks’ dad, who claims to be Christian, said the interracial relationship had “disrespected” the family and gave her an ultimatum to either break up with Nike (her boyfriend) or disappear, for good.
In the letter, Hicks’ father says, “My belief is that interracial relationships are despicable. Vulgar and reprehensible. There’s nothing worse than a half-black, and I’m crushed that my own daughter has entered into such a disgusting relationship.” He continued, “You have one final opportunity. Either end your relationship with ‘Nike,’ or face the consequences. There are 3 suitcases emptied and waiting. If you choose this black kid over your parents, then fill them up and leave my house…and DO NOT attempt to contact me again, the rest of your life. Change your name as soon as possible, because I won’t have any association with you. Ever.”
Hicks posted a picture of letter to Twitter with the caption, “sad that it’s 2016 and skin color still matter.” The post was retweeted over 8000 times and favorited by 7000 people. Unfortunately, she was also met with abuse from racist Twitter trolls, and has since deleted her account.
After the letter went viral, Hick’s boyfriend posted about the story to his Twittter page, first posting racist texts that he had received from unknown numbers, but also posting this photograph:
Sadly, it looks like the haters in Hicks' family won. Nike posted another message a few hours later with the caption, “my girls twitter.”
Though both Stephanie and Nike seem to be doing the best they can, it is incredibly disappointing that in this day and age, their relationship is so controversial at all.
(Photo: Kathy Dewar)
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024