(Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images for BET)
Since the initial news of Jussie Smollett's attack was publicized, several unconfirmed reports have followed with various publications citing unnamed sources while covering the scandal's developments.
Smollett's family, in particular, has doubled down on this method with his brother, Jocqui Smollett, blasting the media for corroborating unconfirmed information in their coverage.
In a cryptic message posted to his Instagram page, Jocqui cited a Malcolm X quote to relay how he viewed the media's careless coverage of his brother's attack.
"This is the media, an irresponsible media," it reads. "It will make the criminal look like he's the victim and make the victim look like he's the criminal. If you aren't careful, the media will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
Take a look, below:
The brothers' sister, Jurnee Smollett, reposted the quote to her own Instagram account.
Shortly after, Jocqui continued this narrative by posting a screenshot of a tweet which noted that many are purposefully discrediting Jussie's story, not because they believe he is lying, but rather due to their own racist and homophobic views.
"I have a feeling even if we had video of Jussie Smollett being attacked... y'all would still discredit him," the tweet reads. "Because it's easier to believe what aligns with your contempt for survivors of hate crimes, sexual abuse, etc who happen to be LGBTQ+, disabled, or women."
Smollett's family is clearly in his corner, 100 percent.
- Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone Talks Her New Book ‘Far Beyond Gold Running From Fear To FaithIn her memoir, the Olympic gold medalist explores her journey and all the obstacles she had to overcome to become one of the greatest track and field athletes ever.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024