(Photo by Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
Two victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York City’s World Trade Center have been identified.
According to local station News 12, Dorothy Morgan of Hempstead, N.Y., and a man not currently being named were identified via DNA recovered between 2001 and 2006.
Morgan, a 47-year-old grandmother, becomes the 1,646th victim of 9/11 to be identified. More than 2,900 were killed in the attack and many of their bodies were never recovered. Morgan’s identification comes just days short of the 20th anniversary of the attacks.
At the time of her death, Morgan worked in the north tower of the World Trade Center for professional services firm Marsh McLennan as a broker, according to Black Enterprise. Her remains were buried beneath tons of steel and stone at Ground Zero.
After New York City’s chief medical examiner Barbara A. Sampson completed the DNA work, officials announced their findings.
“It was surprising, shocking,” Morgan’s daughter, Nykiah Morgan, said about learning the news, according to ABC7 NY.
Officials at the medical examiner’s office reportedly briefed Nykiah Morgan on how to claim her mother’s remains. She says she’s not planning a funeral.
Morgan and the unidentified man are the first new identities made since 2019.
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024