Graphic ISIS Video Reportedly Shows The Deadly Ambush In Niger That Killed Sgt. La David Johnson

The video was recorded by the helmet cams of the Green Beret troops.

UPDATE March 6:

Months after the October ambush of four Green Beret soldiers in Niger, ISIS released a 9-minute long propaganda video showing the troops final moments alive. 

The graphic footage was recorded on the helmet cameras of Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson, Sgt. La David Johnson and Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright, who were all killed in the fight in Tongo Tongo, CBS News reported. 

Although the video is too graphic to show in its entirety, CBS aired a clip which shows the Green Berets trying to take cover behind an SUV as ISIS militants attack. The four U.S. soldiers use colored smoke grenades to alert allies in the air before running for cover. 

The video shows one of the soldiers get hit by a bullet and fall to the ground. Another soldier then drags him behind the SUV for cover. Eventually, ISIS fighters come into frame as Johnson goes down. The video ends when the officer wearing the helmet cam is shot at point blank range. 

The Pentagon is expected to release findings from its investigation into why the American soldiers were left with no backup during Niger attack later this week, CBS reported. 

Although it is unknown why ISIS released the video, many believe it is being used as a recruiting tool. 

PREVIOUS December 18:

After several news outlets reported new findings which revealed Sgt. La David Johnson was never captured and fought until his death, the slain soldier's family has slammed military officials for keeping them in the dark. 

On Monday morning, Sgt. Johnson’s sister and mother appeared on CNN’s “New Day,” where they said they had to find out the latest update through Facebook because the pentagon has been very quiet.

“We find out everything via social media,” La David’s sister Richshama told CNN when asked how military officials explained the investigation. “They haven't talked to our family about where was his whereabouts. They haven't briefed us the proper way like they were supposed to.”

The sergeant’s mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, said she learned the most recent findings of the investigation from a Facebook post while having a pre-interview dinner Sunday night with CNN staff.

“I ran out of the restaurant because they never notified us that that was the final investigation,” Jones-Johnson said.

Johnson’s mother also expressed a frustration with the military for not being upfront with their family from the beginning.

“I want the truth,” Jones-Johnson said. “If they would've just told us the truth behind the situation from day one, we won't even be sitting here because we would have closure and we can move on from this.”

“And if they would've just told us that he did get killed in the line of duty and he was captured, we would have understood."

Johnson was an American hero who gave his life for the citizens of the country and now his family wants the military to show him the same respect.

“He honored the Army and I just wish they would have honored him the way he honored them,” Cowanda Jones-Johnson said.


A recent military investigative report has revealed Army Sgt. La David T. Johnson died in a shootout with the enemy while taking cover in heavy brush. These findings dispute previous reports that the Green Beret was captured and/or tortured during the ambush in Niger. 

Sgt. Johnson was struck as many as 18 times by members of an Islamic State, who shot M-4 rifles from a distance, reported the Associated Press.

According to military officials, Johnson was part of a 12-member Army Special Forces unit who were assisting 30 Nigerian forces during the attack. As a result of the ambush, Sgt. Johnson, 25, Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, 35, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39, and Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright, 29, were killed.

While moving on foot, the U.S. and Nigerian soldiers were attacked in a wooded area by as many as 50 militants. During the attack, Johnson and two Nigerian soldiers tried to get to an escape vehicle. However, they were unsuccessful and instead became separated from the others.

Johnson, who was known to be a fast runner, was able to run away the farthest and take cover in thick brush. Military officials believe Johnson fought until the very end.  

After the attack, the bodies of three U.S. Green Berets were located immediately, but Johnson’s remains were not found until two days later, leading some to believe he was taken away by the enemy.

The new reports from the military have led some to question the U.S. involvement in Niger. Others have also demanded the pentagon release a full report about why Green Berets were in Niger, what happened during the attack, and why it took so long to locate Sgt. La David Johnson. 

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.

By clicking Subscribe, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. You also agree to receive marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers) and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. You understand that you can unsubscribe at any time.