One of Tupac’s most timeless hits is now the focal point of a new lawsuit filed by one of its co-producers.
Music Business Worldwide reports that DJ Master Tee made the legal filing and alleges copyright infringement against Tony D. Pizarro, Interscope, and Universal Music Group, the parent company of the former. He’s accusing the trio of entities of conspiring to withhold royalties from the Me Against the World track “Dear Mama.”
“A self-serving group, led by an upstart music producer, Tony D. Pizarro, conspired with executives at Interscope Records and Universal Music Group (UMG), misappropriated Master Tee’s publishing copyright and master recording copyright and assumed the identity of writer/publisher of Dear Mama’s music,” the lawsuit reads.
Treach Says Investigators Knew Who Killed Tupac A Long Time Ago
A 1996 MTV interview with the West Coast hip-hop legend is one of the major pieces of evidence Master Tee cites in his lawsuit, during which he says, “Master Tee gave me the beat, you know, Lyte’s DJ,” he told the network. “He gave me the beat and I wrote it in the bathroom on the toilet, like on one of them early morning sit down for sessions. I just wrote it down and it came out like, like tears, you know, right?”
As a part of the lawsuit, DJ Master Tee requests compensation for the royalties he’s claiming he’s owed, damages for copyright infringement, unjust enrichment, theft of intellectual property, and the declaration that he’s both a co-writer and co-producer of the 1995 song.
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024