(Photo: Andy Martin Jr. / ZUMA Press / Splash News)
Looks like Kevin Gates will be spending the holidays in jail.
The rapper has been sentenced to 180 days in jail after a jury found him guilty of misdemeanor battery on Wednesday. The charges came from an August 2015 incident in which the 30-year-old rapper was filmed kicking a woman in the chest during his concert in Lakeland, Florida.
During his trial, Gates plead not guilty and insisted he was simply defending himself against an aggressive fan under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, claiming the victim, Miranda Dixon, was trying to pull him off stage. When his attempts to get her to stop failed, he used “necessary force” to protect himself. His attorney Jose Baez even went as far as to claim Gates' foot didn’t actually touch Dixon, and that she was simply attempting to gain damages in an upcoming civil trial.
The jury, made up of six white women, didn't buy it and found Gates guilty. The judge wasn't on Gates' side, either, and rejected the state's request for 60 days in jail, with one year of probation and mandatory anger management classes, opting instead to triple the sentence.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024