(Photo by Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images)
The path has been cleared for Naya Rivera's family to sue Ventura County for wrongful death after the singer died on July 8, 2020 while boating in Lake Piru with her three-year-old son, Josey.
According to RadarOnline, Ryan Dorsey, the Glee star's ex, claims the county failed to provide adequate safety measures to Rivera and their son before they embarked on their boating trip last year. The county refuted the claims and asked a judge to block the lawsuit. The request has been denied by a judge, making it possible for Dorsey to sue for potentially millions of dollars in punitive damages.
In his lawsuit, Dorsey claims the boat was “not equipped with a safely accessible ladder, adequate rope, an anchor, a radio or any security mechanisms to prevent swimmers from being separated from their boats, nor any flotation or life saving devices.” He also claims there were no signs warning of the dangerous conditions of the lake, and that the person who rented the boat to his ex did not warn either to wear a life vest. The county denies that claim.
Last November, Rivera and her son rented a pontoon boat for a day trip in Lake Piru. Hours after they departed, her son was found sleeping alone on the boat with Rivera nowhere to be found. A massive search was launched, and her body was eventually recovered. Investigators found that Naya and her son had been swimming, but she did not get back on the boat. Her son said she threw him onto the boat but then she disappeared.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024