After Republicans blocked Democrats’ efforts to protect and expand voting rights, Mitch McConnell let everyone know what he really feels.
The Kentucky GOP senate minority leader spoke to reporters on Wednesday (Jan. 19) after two Democratic senators refused to go along with a plan to change Senate rule to overcome a GOP filibuster of voting rights legislation. He was asked what he would say to voters of color who are concerned about their access to the polls prior to November’s midterm elections.
"Well, the concern is misplaced," McConnell said. "Because if you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans."
The inference that Black people are not Americans, whether intentional or a slip of the tongue, was quickly met with backlash on social media.
Democrats failed to get 50 votes to change the Senate rules on Wednesday to move forward with the voting rights legislation with a simple majority.
The bill gained the support of Republican Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia, but didn’t reach the 60 votes it needed to overcome a Republican filibuster.
Democrats Manchin and Arizona’s Kyrsten Sinema ultimately ended up voting against changing the Senate’s filibuster rules, killing the bill.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024