By now you’ve had time to digest the news about Keija Minor being named editor-in-chief of Brides. Minor is the first person of color to top a Conde Nast Publications masthead since the company was founded in 1909. Minor succeeds Anne Fulenwider, who left Brides to assume the editrix role at Marie Claire.
While Keija is not the first African-American to hold a top position at a mainstream magazine (Amy DuBois Barnett, former managing editor Teen People, Corynne Corbettt, former executive editor Real Simple), her promotion exemplifies progress in a melanin deficient publishing industry.
Here are 5 things you should know about Minor:
1) Minor is the former EIC of Uptown (2008-2011) and Gotham (2005-2007) magazines.
2) Minor was the executive editor of Brides before assuming her role as EIC.
3) Traveling is Minor’s favorite way to continuously be educated. She grew up in a family that placed value on embracing other cultures.
4) Minor loves to host dinner parties, but rarely cooks. She has takeout and catering services on speed dial.
5) Minor says, “The best part of my job is celebrating those who defy stereotypes and buck conventional labels.”
BET.com always gives you the latest fashion and beauty trends, tips and news. We are committed to bringing you the best of Black lifestyle and celebrity culture.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Steve Mack/Getty Images)
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024