Cuba Gooding Jr.'s legal troubles worsened at his Manhattan Supreme Court appearance on Tuesday (October 15). During his arraignment for allegations brought on by two women — one of whom claimed that he grabbed her backside a year ago, and another who said he squeezed her breast last summer — 12 more women came forward with complaints of sexual misconduct, bringing his total number of accusers to 14.
As previously reported, the Fighting Temptations star was initially booked on four misdemeanor charges of sexual abuse and forcible touching.
According to Page Six, during his arraignment, prosecutors stated that, in addition to the misdemeanor counts, they plan to introduce evidence of 12 additional complaints, known as “Molineux witnesses,” as he is not charged in their cases — this is described as "a New York State pre-trial hearing on the admissibility of evidence of prior uncharged crimes by the defendant in a criminal trial." The name is taken from the case of People v. Molineux in 1901, which officially established the process as law.
Page Six reports that, according to Manhattan prosecutors, the account of at least one of the accusers is quite graphic. The woman, who reportedly had no personal relationship with Gooding, claimed he told her to sit on his face and pee in his mouth.
Following the hearing, Gooding's attorney, Mark Heller, said that he and his client are "so surprised that this case is going forward."
"It is only indicative of the hysteria and unusual environment and climate that exists today to such an extent that a commonplace gesture is now perceived to be inappropriate," he added.
The actor has denied all allegations against him.
A total of five women have accused actor Cuba Gooding Jr. of sexual misconduct, with three coming forward with allegations in recent days.
According to the New York Daily News, the actor is set to be arraigned in court on Tuesday (October 15) for allegedly forcibly touching two women, including a 29-year-old woman who claims he squeezed her breast on June 9, 2019, at the Magic Hour Rooftop Bar & Lounge in Times Square, New York. She told the police that Gooding was "highly intoxicated" at the time of the assault, and added that the two got into an argument after he touched her and she resisted his advance.
The actor appeared in court last week where he was charged with two misdemeanors: forcible touching and sexual abuse in the third degree. He pleaded not guilty to both charges.
Gooding's three new accusers reportedly told the authorities similar stories of sexual misconduct that date back as far as 10 years. At least one of their accounts is believed to have taken place inside a restaurant.
Gooding's attorney, Mark Heller, said the three women's claims are baseless. "If there was any evidence it would have already been presented to the grand jury," he said. "The allegations will never result in a conviction for anything."
The Boyz 'n the Hood star turned himself in to the New York City Police Department in June and was later released on his own recognizance. As for the latest three allegations, People reports that the claims made by the unidentified women are currently being investigated and no charges against the actor have yet been filed.
(Photo by Ron Adar/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)