Hotties Rejoice! Megan Thee Stallion Is Free To Release New Music

ATLANTA, GEORGIA - JUNE 15: Megan Thee Stallion performs onstage during 2019 Hot 107.9 Birthday Bash at State Farm Arena on June 15, 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Paras Griffin/Getty Images)

Hotties Rejoice! Megan Thee Stallion Is Free To Release New Music

Megan is suing her label and its head, Carl Crawford, for at least $1 million in damages.

Published March 3rd

Written by Danielle Ransom

For a minute, it looked like the sequel to Hot Girl Summer would be cancelled thanks to a dispute between Houston’s breakout rap Megan Thee Stallion and her record label, 1501 Certified Entertainment. 

This past weekend, Megan revealed the deadlock with her label, 1501 Certified Entertainment, run by former professional baseball player Carl Crawford.

  1. In an Instagram Live session, the 24-year-old disclosed that she’d recently approached 1501 to renegotiate her contract, which she signed five years ago. She said that her request was denied and, in retaliation, the label was blocking her from releasing new music. 

    According to the court documents obtained by TMZ, 60 percent of the Houston rapper’s earnings goes to the label. The remaining 40 percent goes directly to Megan. Although, she stated that payment for engineers, mixers and featured artists comes out of her cut, according to TMZ.

    Furthermore, the contract reportedly stipulates that any earnings from touring and live shows go straight to the label. In court documents obtained by Billboard, Megan claimed she has only been paid $15,000 despite bringing in an estimated $7 million in revenue for the label. Megan claimed that when she requested 1501 Certified Entertainment to provide documentation of what she’s owed, the paperwork was “purposefully and deceptively vague.”

  2. In a new, expansive interview with Billboard, Crawford denied Megan’s allegations and called the lawsuit a “robbery.” He said that he was not involved with writing up her contract and “knew absolutely nothing about it.” In his eyes, Crawford accused Jay-Z and Roc Nation of trying to “strong arm” him into releasing Megan from her contract. 

    “Nothing is true that she said. Me being greedy and taking money from her, that's crazy. I never tried to take nothing from her,” Crawford told the publication. “The only thing we ever did was give, give, give. Now, she fell for the oldest trick in the industry: the conquer and divide theme.”

    He revealed that he was blindsided when Megan signed a deal with Roc Nation in August of 2019 and found out through the news. Since then, Crawford said he and Megan haven’t been on speaking terms. Additionally, he said that the Houston rapper stopped paying 1501 Certified Entertainment shortly after the deal was secured. Elsewhere in the interview, Crawford shot down Megan’s claims that she’s only been paid $15,000 since signing to his label, which is where his problem with Megan lies.

    “We gave this girl a 60-40 split. Now go ask the artist about that. She got parts of her masters [the] first time. You think Jay-Z would have gave her part of her masters on her first deal with Roc Nation? F**k no,” Crawford iterated. “Then, she's getting $100,000 a show and she doesn't want to pay up. That's what the issue was about. She signed with Roc Nation in August and decided she didn't wanna pay me no more. They're using that as a strong-arm tactic so that I can renegotiate the contract.”

  3. RELATED: Women Artists Will Lead To Wave For 2020

    Thus far, the status of Megan’s hotly-anticipated debut album, Suga, is not clear. According to TMZ’s report, a judge in Harris County, Texas granted Megan a restraining against her label. Thus, the block on her music has been lifted. The Head Hottie celebrated the good news with the announcement that she will be dropping new music soon. In a recent cover story with Rolling Stone, the 24-year-old shared that she was hoping to drop her album on May 2 — her late mother’s birthday. 

    Hopefully, Megan and her label can reach a favorable resolution before summer arrives.

     

(Photo: Paras Griffin/Getty Images)

COMMENTS

Latest in music

GET READY FOR ELECTION DAY

NOVEMBER 3, 2020

#RECLAIMYOURVOTE

VOTE
0

days

00HRS
00MIN
00SEC