Noel Vasquez/Getty Images for Hennessy
Will Smith is poised for another hit film — and a possible Oscar nomination — when his film Concussion hits theaters later this month, but one person who won't be buying a ticket is Hall of Famer Warren Sapp.
Asked if he plans to see the drama, which chronicles Dr. Bennet Omalu's discovery of the negative effect playing football has on the brain, Sapp responded, “I’m not going to see the new Concussion movie because I saw the first one, League of Denial."
He continues, "That’s the one that they need to play, because it’s not Will Smith, it’s not an actor, it’s the actual guy who did the research, who looked CTE [chronic traumatic encephalopathy] up, who found it, who brought this to the forefront, and who was run across the country by the NFL because they thought he was a witch doctor," he said. "Now... it’s proven, it’s fact. A movie is what we’re talking about? A movie? Really? You know, a movie ain’t real.”
The film Sapp is talking about, League of Denial, is a documentary about Omalu's work, which is very damning to the NFL (allegedly, even the film Concussion has the league incredibly nervous).
While he agrees that a movie with Will Smith will attract attention to the CTE issue and the consequences of playing football, he believes it only glorifies and dramatizes the violence, rather than take a deep dive into the harmfulness of CTE.
Will Smith’s Concussion will open on Christmas Day.
BET Sports News — Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports, including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes.
(Photo by Noel Vasquez/Getty Images for Hennessy)
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024