As the legendary Whoopi Goldberg marks her 68th birthday on November 13, it's the perfect time to reflect on the incredible journey of the versatile actress. From her early breakthrough roles to an Academy Award-winning performance, Whoopi has rightfully earned the title of icon.
Here are five of the best performances that showcase her unparalleled range and acting prowess.
The Color Purple (1985)
In Steven Spielberg's powerful adaptation of Alice Walker's novel, Whoopi Goldberg delivers a breakthrough performance as Celie. Her portrayal of a woman facing adversity and seeking her own identity earned her an Oscar nomination, marking a pivotal moment in her career and solidifying her as a force to be reckoned with in Hollywood.
Whoopi Goldberg's memorable turn as Oda Mae Brown in "Ghost" is nothing short of iconic. Her impeccable comedic timing and undeniable chemistry with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore earned her an Academy Award for "Best Supporting Actress". Oda Mae Brown remains one of the most beloved characters in cinematic history.
Sister Act (1992)
Whoopi Goldberg takes center stage as Deloris Van Cartier, a lounge singer turned nun, in the musical comedy "Sister Act." The film became a massive hit. Fast forward to today, and news of Whoopi working on "Sister Act 3" has fans eagerly anticipating another chapter in this beloved franchise.
Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)
Goldberg takes on a powerful dramatic role in "Ghosts of Mississippi" as Myrlie Evers, the widow of civil rights activist Medgar Evers, who was assassinated in 1963. In this gripping courtroom drama, she skillfully portrays the emotional struggles faced by a woman seeking justice for her husband's murder, delivering a performance that resonates long after the credits roll.
In the 2022 film "Till," Whoopi Goldberg embodies the character of Alma Carthan, Emmett Till's grandmother. This poignant portrayal follows the life of Mamie Till after her son's tragic lynching in 1955, shedding light on the enduring impact of racial injustice. Goldberg also served as a producer.
Happy Birthday, Whoopi Goldberg!
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024