STREAM BET FAVORITES

Ice Cube and Mike Epps Confirm 'Last Friday' Is Officially in the Works

Production on the fourth film in the 'Friday' franchise is set to begin later this year. Chris Tucker is in active talks to return as Smokey.

Ice Cube and Mike Epps have officially confirmed that "Last Friday," the long-awaited fourth film in the "Friday" franchise, is in development. The pair shared the news during an appearance on "Entertainment Tonight," giving fans the most detailed update on the project to date.

When the host asked Epps about the film, the comedian confirmed it was "going down." Production is expected to begin later this year. While plot details are scarce, Cube and Epps revealed that the story will center on the gentrification of the neighborhood that fans have grown to love over three decades.

The biggest question for franchise fans has always been whether Chris Tucker will return as Smokey, the role he famously walked away from after the original 1995 film. According to Cube and Epps, that may finally be happening.

"We're talking to him and he wants to come back," Epps said. Cube added: "He's one of the best. I think he's going to do it."

Epps had first teased the news in March 2025 during an appearance on "The Breakfast Club." "[Cube] called me the other day. We just finished the deal," he said at the time. "That's another brother that's put so many brothers on, man. This dude put so many. Put me, Chris Tucker, Bernie Mac, name 'em."

On a January 2026 appearance on "Club Shay Shay," Epps gave even more details. He revealed he had been in a writing room with Cube, Aaron McGruder (creator of "The Boondocks"), and original "Friday" co-writer DJ Pooh. "It's going to be off the hook," Epps said.

Cube has been pushing for the film to be released by April 2027.

The path to "Last Friday" has been long and bumpy. The original "Friday," released in 1995 and directed by F. Gary Gray, starred Cube and Tucker and became a cultural phenomenon. The film also featured Nia Long, Tiny Lister, Regina King, Bernie Mac, and John Witherspoon. Sequels "Next Friday" (2000) and "Friday After Next" (2002) followed, with Epps stepping in as Day-Day after Tucker did not return.

For years, Cube publicly accused Warner Bros. of blocking a fourth installment, even using the hashtag #FreeFriday on social media. He alleged the studio rejected two scripts and "hi-jacked the happiness of the culture." The pieces have finally fallen into place in 2026.

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.


By clicking Subscribe, you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. You also agree to receive marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers) and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. You understand that you can unsubscribe at any time.