At the "Soul Train Awards 2023," hosted by Keke Palmer, singer and actress Janelle Monáe achieved a historic milestone by becoming the inaugural recipient of the "Spirit of Soul Award." This accolade, formerly known as the “Lady of Soul Award,” reflects the diversity and inclusivity embraced by this year's recipient. Additionally, Monáe became the first genderless honoree to receive this prestigious trophy. As we look back at another amazing celebration of R&B and soul, get familiar with this year’s “Spirit of Soul Award” recipient with these five interesting facts.
They identify as nonbinary
In April 2022, Monáe revealed their nonbinary identity during an appearance on “Red Table Talk.” “I’m nonbinary, so I just don’t see myself as a woman, solely … I feel like god is so much bigger than the ‘he’ or the ‘she.’ And if I am from God, I am everything,” they shared.
They worked in retail before finding fame.
Via a response to a fan, Monàe revealed that they had once worked at Office Depot while she was attending the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York. Their experience reportedly inspired them to write the song “Lettin’ Go.”
They made an animated transition into film
Monáe made her first film appearance in the animated sequel “Rio 2” as Dr. Monáe, a veterinarian. This marked her first movie and voice acting role.
The made “Soul Train Awards” history
Monáe became the first recipient and non-binary honoree to receive the “Spirit of Soul Award” at the “Soul Train Awards” 2023, hosted by Emmy-nominated actress and singer Keke Palmer.
They Share An Emmy With The Obamas
They were a recipient of one of the first Children’s and Family Emmy Awards. They earned the award for their work on a show titled “We the People” alongside producers Barack and Michelle Obama and fellow writers like H.E.R., Andra Day, and more.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024