WATCH ALL YOUR FAVORITE BET SHOWS

Ex-Counter Terrorism Aide Says Meghan Markle Faced ‘Disgusting And Very Real’ Death Threats

Neil Basu said people have been prosecuted.

Ex-counter terrorism aide Neil Basu recently opened up about the death threats the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle received.

In a Dec. 5 interview with Britain's Channel 4 News, Basu, who is retiring after 30 years with London's Metropolitan Police described the threats against "disgusting and very real.”

He continued, “If you'd seen the stuff that was written and you were receiving it… the kind of rhetoric that's online, if you don't know what I know, you would feel under threat all of the time.”

We asked if he was “convinced that there was a genuine threat to Meghan’s life,” he responded, “Absolutely. We had teams investigating it and people have been prosecuted for those threats.”

See a clip of the interview below:

RELATED: Meghan Markle and Mariah Carey Chop It Up About The Struggles Of Being A Mixed

Last week, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle released the trailer for Netflix docuseries Harry & Meghan. Volume one of the six-episode docuseries drops on Dec. 8 and volume two premieres Dec. 15.

Watch the trailer below:

Latest News

Subscribe for BET Updates

Provide your email address to receive our newsletter.


By clicking subscribe, I agree to receive newsletters, marketing communications, updates, special offers (including partner offers), and other information from BET and the Paramount family of companies. For more information about our data practices, consult our Privacy Policy.