(Photo by Amy Sussman/BBMA2020/Getty Images for dcp )
On Wednesday night (October 14), En Vogue came together at the 2020 Billboard Awards where the legendary group closed out the show with an epic performance. Thirty years after their historic debut, the R&B legends have still got it.
Hailed as a special “throwback” performance, Rhona Bennett, Terry Ellis, and Cindy Herron took the stage dressed in sleek, all-black jumpsuits where the trio delivered a fiery rendition of their 1992 classic, “Free Your Mind.” At point during their performance, a snippet of Childish Gambino’s “This Is America '' played as black-and-white footage of civil rights marches rolled in the background on screen behind them. The members of their band also wore bedazzled bandannas with “VOTE” emblazoned in bold, black letters. The message was loud and clear as En Vogue concluded the set with their fists raised up high in the air.
While speaking to Billboard after their performance, En Vogue shared whether new music could be coming soon. While they “haven't gone through that brainstorming process yet,” the ladies said they’re “always eager to be in the studio to record and write songs” but COVID-19 is putting things on hold for now.
With all of the social media excitement around the IG Live faceoffs, Billboard also got the group’s thoughts on who they’d want to go up against in a hypothetical Verzuz battle. En Vogue ladies felt it was fitting that they go up against Boyz II Men.
“It would be fun because of the male to female energy and we love them. When we're touring, we often hit certain spots together, so we adore them,” the trio explained.
It’s certainly an interesting prospect. Legendary in their own, both groups were defining acts of the ‘90s with discographies matched by few. Coincidentally, Swizz Beatz just shared an announcement via Instagram that season two of the popular battle series is “coming soon.” Only time will tell but a match between En Vogue and Boyz II Men would be an R&B throwback for the ages.
Catch En Vogue’s performance at the 2020 Billboard Music Awards below.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024