Retired U.S. Army General and alumni Darrell K. Williams has been named Hampton University’s 13th president. He will take over for current President William R. Harvey who resigns.
According to a press release, Williams was chosen by The Board of Trustees from nearly 300 applicants.
Board of Trustees Chairman Wes Coleman said in a statement, “Running a university is complex, as was made evident by the global pandemic. When President Harvey told us of his decision to retire, we knew we wanted to build upon what he has accomplished. We embarked on a search for a proven strategic leader. The skills Lt. Gen. Williams is bringing to Hampton encompass what institutions of our size need. In a global world increasingly dependent on technology, this kind of strategic leadership expertise and knowledge can only help to move our institution forward over the coming decades.”
Williams added, “I love Hampton and bring a wealth of strategic leadership experiences, including management of large global organizations, as well as the academic and nonprofit experience necessary to successfully lead the university. I am thrilled to have been selected as the next president. I will work tirelessly with students, faculty, staff, alumni and the broader community to prepare our graduates for today and for the continuously evolving, technology-driven workforce of tomorrow.”
The West Palm Beach, Florida native has bachelor's degree from Hampton Institute, a master’s in business administration from Pennsylvania State University, a master’s in military art and science from the Army Combined and General Staff College, and a master’s in national security strategy from the National War College.
Williams was also the first Black American and 19th director of the Department of Defense’s Defense Logistics Agency. Additionally, he led the Army Combined Arms Support Command and the Fort Lee, Virginia, military installation.
After 37 years, Darrell K. Williams retired from the U.S. Army in 2020.
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024
- Wendy Williams Finds Support in Blac Chyna Amidst Health Struggles: A Revealing Look in New Lifetime Documentary"Where Is Wendy Williams?" premieres on Saturday, February 24 at 8 p.m.02/23/2024
- Jermaine Dupri Confirms That Unreleased Usher Track Is Finally AvailableTaking to social media, the award-winning producer said that “Believe” will drop on February 23.02/23/2024