In today’s lesson of Milennial Rap Mindlessness, 22-year-old rapper Blueface (a.k.a. Blueface Bleedem) taught fans a valuable lesson in record contract signage without even realizing it.
The California rapper gained his Breakfast Club stripes on Wednesday (January 30) as one of the freshest talents breaking out of Cash Money’s roster. Well, Cash Money West, that is—the west coast-focused subdivision of the Birdman-founded Cash Money record label home—which Blueface didn’t realize falls under three other record labels, as pointed out by DJ Booth. “All I know is Cash Money West and Wack 100 [co-founder of Cash Money West],” the “Respect My Crypn” rapper responded when asked about who he was signed to. He’s apparently not aware of the contract’s details though he claims to have seen it from Wack, as Charlamagne Tha God discovered thereafter.
Unbeknownst to the industry rap rookie, his Cash Money West placement locks him in with the aforementioned Cash Money Records umbrella, Republic Records (Cash Money’s distributor) and UMG (which overheads Republic). While such scenarios aren’t unheard of, and actually quite common among several industry talents, Blueface’s total heedlessness to his own label and contractual situation left a shock among not only DJ Envy, Charlamagne and Angela Yee (which was replaced with an awkward silence during the conversation), but left him as the internet’s laughingstock for Wednesday morning as well.
Watch the internet do its damage on Blueface and his cringeworthy moment from the Breakfast Club sit-down below.
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024