(Photo: Mark Rucker/Transcendental Graphics, Getty Images)
The Georgia native was an athletic quadruple threat, and as a student at the University of California Los Angeles, he lettered in baseball, football, basketball and track. After leaving the Army as a lieutenant, he signed with the Montreal Royals of the International League in 1946. After helping the team win the "Little World Series," he was promoted that same year to play for the Dodgers.
Although he was reportedly "thrilled" to be in the majors, it wasn't an easy transition. Robinson had to deal with opposition from major league owners, their players and even members of his own team. Among the many atrocities he faced was an incident during which the Philadelphia team bombarded him with racial slurs and pantomimed shooting at him.
Ironically, the racist attacks helped the white Dodgers form a bond with Robinson. And the dignity with which he handled himself in situations that would have crushed lesser men enabled Americans to open up their hearts and minds. In 1947, Robinson was named the second most admirable American, coming in second to crooner/actor Bing Crosby. He also won the Baseball Writers' Association of America's first Rookie of the Year Award.
BET Sports News -- Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024
- Sanaa Lathan Stars In New Audible Original ‘The Justice’, Reveals She Wishes To Portray Her Character Onscreen"I want to play this in a movie. Let's put it out there," the actor manifested.02/29/2024
- 'Sistas:' Gary’s Lies May Finally Be Catching Up To HimGary’s secrets are much worse than they previously seemed after it comes out that he might be tied to a murder.02/29/2024