Dennis Brack-Pool/Getty Images
The Oscars Academy was recently crucified for a lack of ethnic diversity among their 2015 nominations. It’s the second year in a row a person of color hasn’t received a nod for major category.
Everyone from celebrities to activists have criticized and even boycotted the awards even if they were invited. President Obama was recently asked what he thought about the Oscars situation and relayed that it’s only part of a bigger issue of stifled opportunity in America for some.
"As a whole, the industry should do what every other industry should do, which is to look for talent and provide opportunity to everybody," Obama said to CNN affiliate KABC during a White House interview. "And I think the Oscar debate is really just an expression of this broader issue of are we making sure that everybody is getting a fair shot?"
The President also explained why he believes diversity makes movies or anything else creative better and more artistic.
"I think that when everybody's story is told, then that makes for better art; it makes for better entertainment; it makes everybody feel part of one American family," he said.
The past two years aren’t the only ones that were controversial for the The Academy. It’s long been criticized for its voting panel being mostly white males and in 1996 faced protest for Hollywood's racism in general.
It was also recently announced that the cast of Straight Outta Compton wasn’t invited to attend The Oscars. The Academy is notoriously stingy with tickets, but have made exceptions in the past for those not being nominated for a major award.
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
(Photo: Dennis Brack-Pool/Getty Images)
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024