(Photo: Jerod Harris/Getty Images)
Rapper Vince Staples unintentionally placed himself in the crosshairs of hip hop heads across the country. Even though he goes hard for his hometown of Long Beach, California, the 27-year-old sparked an intense debate on social media after he expressed his belief that the best rappers hail from Atlanta.
He made the remarks in response to fans writing off T.I. as a valid opponent to go against 50 Cent in a potential Verzuz battle earlier this week, writing, “Y’all just be talking to fit in. T.I. got a plethora of bangers.” In a second tweet, the “Big Fish” rapper followed up with “Atlanta got the best rappers ever and it’s not even close.” Immediately after his tweet went public, the mentions in his comments section were swarmed by multitudes of fans who vehemently disagreed with him.
“They don’t rap in Atlanta they make up dances lol the best rappers come from New York everybody knows that,” one user decreed, to which Vince countered, “the originators of hip hop was dancing around New York City in leather outfits.”
In response, Vince pointed out that “Young Dro got more wordplay than a lot of ni**as from everywhere and he not even brought up as a top Atlanta rapper.” When asked who were in his top 10 list of rappers of all time, he listed off “Lauryn Hill, Andre , Scarface, E-40, Snoop [Dogg], Kurupt, Blu, Missy Elliott, Kanye [West], and Young Thug” as some of his favorites.
“If we doing states California up there but as a city Atlanta got way too many ni**as and way too much innovation Atlanta got Big Gip!!!,” Vince reiterated. “That SahBabii just dropped, go educate yourself on Atlanta. Martin Luther King was from Atlanta and the flow was crazy. Stop talking to me.”
His remarks spawned even more engagement, especially over the inclusion of Young Thug who has polarizing reception amongst fans who find his unconventional rapping style too off-kilter.
“Can y’all define lyrical because y’all change it for every argument,” Vince wrote. ‘Thug got obvious wordplay but y’all say he don’t count because he lacks ‘content’ but y’all didn’t say that for Ghostface or ODB.”
Vince participated in a few more rounds of commentary before he said his peace on the matter after noticing Hip Hop Pages has reposted him.
Check out the interactions below:
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024
- Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign Sued For 'Unauthorized Interpolation' By Donna Summer's EstateThe lawsuit claims that the two artists used Summers "I Feel Love" without permission on their track "Good (Don't Die)" from their album “Vultures 1.”02/28/2024
- BET Talks: Torrei Hart Says She Phoned Ex-Husband Kevin Hart ‘Out Of Respect’ When She Decided To Join Katt Williams On Tour“There are children involved. I’m not out here to be messy at all,” she told BET.02/28/2024
- Lynda Gravátt, Acclaimed Broadway and Television Actress, Dies at 76The award-winning actress appeared in several productions on stages in New York and played a pivotal role in the Washington D.C., theater community.02/28/2024
- Rihanna And A$AP Rocky Star In New Fenty Short FilmThis power couple is unstoppable!02/28/2024
- Chanel Iman and NFL Star Davon Godchaux Tie the Knot in Romantic Caribbean Yacht Wedding"Together we will continue to move mountains and love each other through thick and thin,” said the supermodel.02/28/2024