An autopsy has confirmed how Tafari Campbell –the personal chef to former President Barack Obama– died earlier this summer.
On Tuesday (August 22), a report confirmed that Campbell died of accidental drowning in a Martha’s Vineyard lake near a residence owned by the Obamas, according to CBS News.
The report revealed Campbell’s cause of death was ruled an accidental drowning due to submersion in a body of water, as noted by Timothy McGuirk, a spokesperson for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.
On July 23, while paddleboarding at Edgartown Great Pond, reports also revealed that he was seen struggling in the water before he went under, according to CBS Boston. After a search during the night when he was reported missing, his body was found approximately 100 feet from the shore a day later by Massachusetts State Police divers.
The Obamas were not at their home on the island at that time.
For the former first family, Campbell was more than their chef, and their connection went beyond the kitchen.
"Tafari was a beloved part of our family. When we first met him, he was a talented sous chef at the White House – creative and passionate about food, and its ability to bring people together. In the years that followed, we got to know him as a warm, fun, extraordinarily kind person who made all of our lives a little brighter,” said President Obama and Mrs. Obama in a statement following his death.
They added, “That's why, when we were getting ready to leave the White House, we asked Tafari to stay with us, and he generously agreed. He's been part of our lives ever since, and our hearts are broken that he's gone.
He is survived by his wife Sherise and their twin sons, Xavier and Savin.
- Tory Lanez Files New Appeal Over Megan Thee Stallion VerdictThe Canadian rapper is currently serving a 10-year sentence at North Kern State Prison in California.02/29/2024
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Documentary Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024
- Sanaa Lathan Stars In New Audible Original ‘The Justice’, Reveals She Wishes To Portray Her Character Onscreen"I want to play this in a movie. Let's put it out there," the actor manifested.02/29/2024
- 'Sistas:' Gary’s Lies May Finally Be Catching Up To HimGary’s secrets are much worse than they previously seemed after it comes out that he might be tied to a murder.02/29/2024
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024