Mary Alice, a Tony and Emmy Award-winning actress best known for her roles as Leticia “Lettie” Bostic on NBC’s A Different World and Effie Williams in the musical Sparkle, has died in New York City on Wednesday (July 27), according to Variety. She was 84. As of this time, the NYPD did not provide Mary Alice's cause of death.
Mary Alice was born in Indianola, Miss and started her acting career in local theater, before moving to New York City.
Mary Alice performed on Broadway and won an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for 1993’s I’ll Fly Away. Additionally, she won a Tony Award in 1987 for Best Featured Actress in a Play for Fences. Mary Alice also was the Oracle in the film The Matrix Revolutions and the video game Enter the Matrix. She retired from acting in 2005.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024