(Photo: Joseph Okpako/WireImage)
Get To Know: Jessie J
Theo Wargo/Getty Images
Jessie J is a singer and songwriter. Born and raised in London, she began her career on stage at age 11 with a role in the West End musical Whistle Down the Wind. She went to school at the BRIT School before she signed with Gut Records and embarked on a songwriting deal with Sony/ATV Music Publishing.
Making It To the Spotlight
Photo: Jesse Grant/Getty Images for WE
In her early years, Jessie J was a part of a girl band called Soul Deep, having lost faith in the success of the group, she decided to go solo. Despite people thinking that her rise to fame came through YouTube, Jessie was signed for four years before her first video was posted to the site.
Jessie first came to the attention of Lava Records when her publisher at Sony/ATV, Rich Christina, sent Lava president Jason Flom a link to her MySpace profile, which the record executive fell in love with. Jessie eventually signed with Lava as part of a joint venture with Universal Republic.
Jessie J began recording her debut studio album in 2005 and it was completed on January 19, 2011. However, in late 2010, Jessie J released her first single, "Do It Like a Dude," which was co-written with George Astasio, Tj Normandin, Jason Pebworth, Jon Shave, Kyle Abrahams and Peter Ighile. The song was originally written for Rihanna but when management heard the song, they insisted that it be Jessie's first single. The single charted at No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart.
In an interview with NYC's Hot 97, Jessie discussed what her success feels like, loving to dutty wine and what's currently new with her life!
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024