Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid, 29, and 28-year-old model Anne de Paula were wed on Saturday, July 22, in an extravagant ceremony in the Hamptons.
“We are meant for each other,” de Paula wrote in French, according to a translation by PEOPLE. She added that the two are together “for life.”
According to PEOPLE, Embiid wore a white tuxedo and a black bow tie, and de Paula looked stunning in a white dress and veil and carried a bouquet of white roses. Their 2-year-old son, Arthur, wore a tuxedo to match his dad.
The couple met in 2018 after being introduced by mutual friends. They bonded over a shared affinity for soccer. In a 2021 interview with ESPN, de Paula said that Embiid "just has this personality where he wants to motivate you," she said. "His friends, his family and now with Arthur — he pushes all of us to be the best of ourselves. That's the type of person you want to have around."
Embiid named his son Arthur after his brother, who was killed in a car crash in Cameroon shortly after Embiid was drafted in 2014. The pair were close in life despite their seven-year age difference. Arthur was 13 at the time of his death.
"What I remember from him the most was how great of a person he was, even at his age," Embiid says. "He used to take stuff from the house and go help people around the neighborhood. People that didn't have anything. ... So when I found out [de Paula was having a boy], I just knew his first name was going to be Arthur."
When he his son was born in 2020, Embiid joked that he would be the first of 11—saying that he hoped to build a soccer team and thanked de Paula for "being so strong and giving me the Greatest Gift our life can offer."
At their storybook wedding this weekend, the couple was serenaded by Brian McKnight and a performance by Philadelphia rapper Meek Mill.
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024
- 6 Black-Owned Businesses HBCU Students Should ShopIn honor of Black History Month, we’ve compiled a list of Black-owned businesses students will love to shop.02/22/2024
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Malia Obama’s Decision To Drop Her Last Name Professionally"The Color Purple” star clapped back at critics saying, “This is a grown woman! Leave her alone.”02/22/2024
- Snoop Dogg Pays Tribute To His Brother Who Passed AwayBing Worthington, the legendary rapper’s half-brother, passed away on Feb 16.02/22/2024