Kevin Winter/Getty Images
With more than 200 million albums sold, 18 number-one singles and a vocal range that challenges the boundaries of comprehension, Mariah Carey has firmly established herself as an entertainment deity.
On Wednesday (Aug. 5) the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce solidified that immortality, honoring the diva with a star on the Walk of Fame.
Nick Cannon wasn't there but Mimi was in good company as she showed up accompanied by their two children, Monroe and Moroccan, and was lauded by her friends and industry heavyweights Stephen Hill, LA Reid, Brett Ratner and Lee Daniels.
First up was Mariah’s boss, Epic Records Chairman and CEO LA Reid, who spoke on the “Boyfriend” songstress’s personal attributes as well as her talent.
“Yeah you can sing, yeah you can write, yeah you are a true superstar cut from a very rare cloth,” said Reid. “But most importantly, Mariah, you’re the sweetest, kindest, most genuine soul I’ve ever met in my life.”
Next up was Daniels, who directed Carey in Precious and noted that this honor was long overdue.
“I told her, ‘I thought you already had a star on the Walk of Fame. You deserved one a long time ago. She is the queen. She is the one. Her heart transcends her stardom,” Daniels said, before telling the crowd not to miss her on this upcoming season of Empire.
Hill, BET's Head of Programming, spoke on Mariah’s ability to connect with her fans and even told BET.com how the two met more than two decades ago.
"I first met Mariah Carey before her debut album came out," he recalled. "I was the Program Director at WILD in Boston, and Columbia [Records] was obviously very excited about her so they were taking her out on the road. She had a bass player, piano and drums. They were doing trio versions of the songs that were going to be on her album. The show was at the Copley Plaza in Boston, and I had that moment where I realized this was one of the most amazing voices I’ve ever heard. When she performed 'Vanishing' with that trio, it moved me in a way that I still get goosebumps thinking about.”
Ratner spoke last but was interrupted by Moroccan, who made it clear that, like his mother, he did not shy away from the spotlight, tugging at his mom's dress and yelling, “Mommy, mommy,” to the delight of the crowd.
Both twins would steal the crowd’s hearts once again at the end when their mother lifted them up one by one to the microphone where they each zealously proclaimed, “I love you mommy.”
After posing for pictures with her newly minted star, the lady of the hour did what true divas do: hopped into the limo and headed to the after-party.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
- Fireboy DML Is Ready To Drop Gems From His Year of GrowthThe Nigerian pop superstar retraces his musical journey with BET as he discusses his next studio album and his hopes for the future of African music.02/26/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Duet Partners and Featured Artists that Elevated H.E.R.'s TracksHer epic collaborations are among the best parts of the R&B singer’s award-winning catalog.02/26/2024
- Judge Rules That Texas School District's Suspension of Darryl George Over Length of His Locs Did Not Violate CROWN ACTDarryl George, an 18-year-old student at Barbers Hill High School was first suspended from regular classes on Aug. 31, because he did not comply with the dress code.02/23/2024
- DDG Gets Candid On How He And Halle Bailey Got Pregnant After Nearly Two Years Of Dating“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” said the rapper.02/23/2024
- Howard University To Debut First HBCU Ice Skating TeamThe intercollegiate skating team will face the University of Delaware in its first competition.02/23/2024
- Porsha Williams Files For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of MarriageAccording to a source, their split is "unrelated to recent allegations involving Simon's past," but rather, an "ongoing matter."02/23/2024