While Mother's Day is usually recognized as a day of celebration, it is often forgotten that it is also a day of mourning for those women who have lost their children. Tameka Raymond, ex-wife of R&B singer Usher, is one who put her thoughts on paper in an exclusive essay for Madame Noire.
Raymond lost her 11-year-old song, Kile Glover, on July 21, 2012 to a fatal jet-ski accident.
"I have always heard that a mother should never have to bury her children," she wrote. "I absolutely agree. I am living the unimaginable. Every day feels like an odd dream sequence, but I muscle through and I will say that it has taught me to live, love and enjoy life to its fullest potential."
The Atlanta Exes star, who has spoken out about coping with her son's death on the reality show, remains resilient, saying that she refuses to let her painful loss dictate her life's path, especially on days like Mother's Day.
"For me, Mother's Day has transformed into meaning something new," she wrote. "It is another day that I am simply grateful for the privilege of being a mother. It is important for every mother who is missing a child on Mother's Day to believe that the bond between mother and child is never broken... Being a mother is stronger than death for me... Always remain grateful."
You can read Tameka Raymond's letter in full at MadameNoire.com.
Watch her talk about starting a foundation in her son's name on The Real, below:
BET.com is your No. 1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: Vincent Sandoval/WireImage)
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024