Photo: Hennepin County Sheriff via AP, File
The former Minnesota police officer accused of fatally shooting Daunte Wright during a traffic stop is now facing an upgraded charge in the his death, according to CBS Minnesota. The Minnesota state attorney general's office has now charged former Brooklyn Center, Minn., police officer, Kim Potter, with first-degree manslaughter. This charge is in addition to a previously filed second-degree manslaughter charge.
Wright, 20, was killed on April 11, after being pulled over for expired license plate tags, but was placed under arrest after it was determined he had outstanding warrants.
The police chief at the time, Tim Gannon, said he believed Potter, a 26 year veteran at the time of the killing, confused her taser with her service weapon. Potter resigned from the force after the shooting. She was given the manslaughter charge two days after resigning.
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison's office filed the additional charge of first-degree manslaughter by recklessly handling a firearm.
RELATED: Bodycam Footage Shows Fatal Police Shooting of Daunte Wright
After the state attorney general took over the case, Ellison’s office in a statement "confirmed that the original second-degree manslaughter charge is appropriate, but also concluded that an upgraded charge of first-degree manslaughter is warranted."
Wright, a 20-year-old father, was shot in the Minneapolis suburb, just 14 miles north of where George Floyd was killed by police officer Derek Chauvin. The Floyd killing sparked protests internationally, as people decried the deaths of Black people at the hands of law enforcement.
Potter’s trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 30.
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 7 Key Roles that Define Michael B. Jordan's CareerDive into all of the career-defining TV and movie roles that skyrocketed Jordan to superstardom, from HBO’s “The Wire” to the blockbuster “Creed” franchise.02/23/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Queen of Documentaries: 5 Powerful Non-Fiction Films Directed by Ava DuVernayThe award-winning director has a knack for using her powerful lens to depict groundbreaking stories that tackle music, race, culture, and corrupt systems.02/23/2024
- Demi Singleton Says Her 'Bass Reeves' Character Changed How She Saw Her LifeSingleton shares her journey, challenges, and the empowering impact of bringing to light the untold stories of Black heroes in American history.02/23/2024
- 'Tyler Perry’s Sistas': Five Plot Twists That Could Happen With Karen’s BabySistas has so many twists and turns that it’s hard not to imagine the other crazy things that could pop up about Karen’s baby.02/22/2024
- DC Young Fly Pleads For The Return Of His Bag That Contained Jack Oh's Death CertificateThe comedian’s bag was allegedly stolen in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Improv Comedy Club.02/22/2024
- Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Frontotemporal Dementia And AphasiaHer medical team says both conditions have “presented significant hurdles” in her life.02/22/2024