Philander Smith College, a 146-year-old Black college, has officially changed its name to Philander Smith University following the announcement of their first graduate degree program.
Prior to his resignation in May, former university president Roderick Smothers announced that the Methodist-affiliated Little Rock, Ark.-based HBCU would award master’s in business administration degrees. To commemorate the addition, under the direction of interim president Cynthia Bond Hopson, the institution will officially be Philander Smith University.
This change is the first in more than 200 years from the school, seeing their first name change in 1882. Established in 1877, the school was originally Walden Seminary in honor of Dr. J.M. Walden, one of the originators and the first corresponding secretary of the Freedmen's Aid Society to make education available to former African American enslaved people. Five years later, the name was changed to honor the financial contributions of Philander Smith and widow Adeline Smith who aided in the construction and expansion of what the college is today.
Current student enrollment is at 710, according to U.S. News and World Report, which ranked the school at No. 40 among HBCUs and 41 in southern regional colleges.
The name change comes as the school opens its new community center for their Social Justice Hub and the renovation of the Dr. Joycelyn Elders School of Allied and Public Health.
- 'All The Queen’s Men': Tied UpTrouble and Champ are a little too cocky about their crimes and get caught up.02/22/2024
- Tyler Perry Issues Warning For His Steamy Kelly Rowland and Trevante Rhodes-Led Thriller ‘Mea Culpa’: “This Is For Grown Folks”Tyler Perry, Kelly Rowland, Trevante Rhodes, and RonReaco Lee talked to BET about coming together to make their “grown and sexy” Netflix thriller.02/22/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: The Characters & Animated Roles That Shaped Cree Summer's LegacyThe queen of voice acting is behind some of this generation’s most iconic animated characters across TV and film.02/22/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 6 Things You Didn’t Know About Victoria MonétThe songwriter turned R&B performer took home three Grammys for her latest album, “Jaguar II.”02/22/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: Afrobeat Royalty: Burna Boy's Regal Red Carpet MomentsBeyond being an Afrobeats giant, Burna Boy is well-known for his rockstar style.02/22/2024
- Young Thug Identified As the Alleged Gunman On 911 Call During YSL RICO TrialThe Atlanta rapper was ID'd by an unidentified woman in the 2013 incident.02/21/2024