Photo: Margaret Norton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
25 years ago today (May 9), the most famous scene of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was broadcast to the world.
The episode is from season four and is titled “Papa’s Got a Brand New Excuse.” It features Will Smith reuniting with his father, Lou, who abandoned his family when Will was young and perhaps an element as to why he famously had to move from West Philadelphia to Bel-Air.
During the first part of the episode, Will is hesitant whether to even let his father back into his life after 14 years, and as the story progresses, they get closer and closer. In the final scene, however, Lou informs Uncle Phil, played by James Avery, that he’s going to hit the road solo rather than go on a cross-country trip he and his son planned together. He almost leaves before Will enters the room and Lou has to break the news to him.
It produces one of the most memorable and tear-inducing conclusions to a sitcom episode in history. We won’t spoil it if you haven’t seen it before. See it below and prepare for the tears.
Social media is collectively remembering the touching scene — and the late James Avery’s performance in particular. To the point that “Uncle Phil” was trending on Twitter. See some of the best takes, below.
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024