The rift between Coi Leray and her father and former rapper Benzino continues after the latter responded to claims he was “envious” of the “Players” emcee’s early success.
Coi appeared on Angie Martinez’s “IRL” podcast, where she opened up about how her dad dealt with her success, which she says “was rocky” in the beginning. She felt that the “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta” star couldn’t handle the attention she had garnered with songs like “Twinnem” and “No More Parties (Remix).”
“I felt like it did come from an envious place, which is okay, ‘cause he’s human, and it’s fine. He’s one of those people that feels like, ‘Yo, I still have a story to tell,” the 26-year-old shared.
“The Source” co-founder responded to the interview across several posts, calling the allegations “the most ridiculous 💩 I’ve heard in my entire life on this earth.” The industry vet argued, “How tf can be envious towards someone I RAISED, NUTURED, PROVIDED FOR, INFLUENCED AND LOVE VERY DEARLY???
Benzino wrote “This industry and the internet have completely messed up the minds of this young generation” and that he had grown tired of his daughter “pushing a false narrative about who I am and what I’ve done as a father.”
He continued, “In my 40 years in hip hop I’ve never ever seen an artist DOG their parents out the was [sic] Coi does and it’s embarrassing and sad…and one last thing, @angiemartinez knows she doesn’t like me so she’s just being manipulative and messy. They want me crash out but I’ve worked on myself so hard that I ain’t going backwards for ANYTHING, but what I won’t do is allow ANYONE to slander my name and push a false narrative on my reputation and who I am. I’ve shed too many blood, sweat and tears, survived street wars and indictments. Nope no more.”
The father-daughter duo has had previous public disputes. However, last July, it appeared that progress was made in repairing their relationship when Benzino supported Coi during her Rolling Loud Miami performance.
- This Week In Good Black News: Rihanna, A$AP Rocky in Fenty Film; Beyoncé Tops Billboard 100 With "Texas Hold Em"; Russell Westbrook to Build Affordable Housing in LAPlus, the Philadelphia Orchestra renames its concert hall after legendary singer Marian Anderson.03/01/2024
- Aldis and Edwin Hodge on Breaking Down Doors for Black Voices in Sci-Fi with ParallelThe brothers spoke to BET about their new sci-film.03/01/2024
- Wendy Williams' Publicist Regrets Being In Lifetime DocumentaryShawn Zanotti said she would not have participated in the docuseries if she had been aware that it wasn't going to celebrate the former TV personality's career.02/29/2024
- Method Man’s Daughter Releases New MusicGoing by the rap moniker Chey, her latest song “Boujee & Ghetto" has almost 50,000 views in the first week of its release on YouTube.02/29/2024
- Kodak Black Delivers His Fourth Child HimselfThe Florida rapper welcomed the newborn on Feb.27.02/29/2024
- Five Facts About 'The Oval’s' Javon JohnsonThe actor is passionate about the craft of acting and mentoring aspiring minds.02/29/2024