John Thompson made college men's basketball history when he led the Georgetown University Hoyas to win the NCAA basketball tournament on April 2, 1984. Thompson is the first African-American coach to win a collegiate championship.
Before coaching Georgetown, Thompson played for the Boston Celtics for two years, but had a lackluster career in the NBA. His time served as coach proved more fruitful after he took on the floundering Hoyas and improved the team's record. Within three seasons, the Hoyas landed an NCAA spot. Over his 27-year career, the team made it to the postseason 24 times. Among his players that went on to star in the NBA are Patrick Ewing, Sleepy Floyd, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo and Allen Iverson.
Thompson also coached the U.S. team at the 1988 Summer Olympics and they went on to win the bronze medal. After his resignation on Jan. 8, 1999, Thompson was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and served as a commentator for ESPN.
His son, John Thompson III, currently serves as coach for the Georgetown Hoyas.
BET Sports News - Get the latest news and information about African-Americans in sports including weekly recaps, celebrity news and photos of your favorite Black athletes. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photo: The Post-Standard /Landov)
- Opinion: Lifetime's 'Where Is Wendy Williams?' Should Raise Concerns Over Ethics and AccountabilityThe producers displayed insensitivity and a lack of regard for Wendy's well-being, and people should be outraged by it.02/29/2024
- 2024 NAACP Image Awards: 5 Instances Where Ari Lennox Redefined Modern R&BThe powerful vocalist has used her endearing music to usher in a new sound for modern R&B.02/29/2024
- Sanaa Lathan Stars In New Audible Original ‘The Justice’, Reveals She Wishes To Portray Her Character Onscreen"I want to play this in a movie. Let's put it out there," the actor manifested.02/29/2024
- 'Sistas:' Gary’s Lies May Finally Be Catching Up To HimGary’s secrets are much worse than they previously seemed after it comes out that he might be tied to a murder.02/29/2024
- Former WWE Star Michael Jones, Known As 'Virgil,' Dies at 61He was best known for being the bodyguard for the “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase during his time in the WWF and WCW.02/28/2024
- Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign Sued For 'Unauthorized Interpolation' By Donna Summer's EstateThe lawsuit claims that the two artists used Summers "I Feel Love" without permission on their track "Good (Don't Die)" from their album “Vultures 1.”02/28/2024