Kanye West's unofficial radio tour, where he's been promoting Yeezus, hit an awkward note
Tuesday (Nov. 26) during Sway Calloway's Sway in the Morning radio show on Shade 45.
West started out speaking to Sway, a longtime friend who also hosts MTV's RapFix Live, about his usual topics of classism, billionaires, and the obstacles he faces from corporations uninterested in funding his designs. The conversation took a turn when the media host questioned his antics. "Why don't you empower yourself…and do it yourself?" Calloway asked West about his gripe with corporations.
"How Sway?!" West yelled back."You ain't got the answers man! You ain't got the answers Sway! I've been doing this more than you! You aint' got the answers! You ain't been doing the education…you trying to give me advice about something…you ain't got the answers. You ain't spent 13 million dollars of your own money trying to empower yourself!"
Calloway shot back, raising his own voice to say, "You ain't gotta turn up. This ain't no f---in' show….I'm talking to you as a homie," he said. "I'm tryna understand your world because when I go to your concert, I'm curious about what you're saying…You ain't gotta turn up on me. Man to man, dog...f--- these mics, we can turn all this s--t off. You an't gotta do this, it's cool. I love you bro….Don't try to embarrass us."
West eventually calmed down and apologized before likening the verbal squabble to an argument between slaves, and later revealed the root of his disdain. "The thing that compresses me is time versus money," West explained. "Integrity, money and relevance, because as I work on clothing more, I'm not rapping as much. [If] I'm not rapping as much...I'm not having as much finances, I'm losing relevancy. The relevancy is part of my power that allows my brand to be big."
The juggling act of keeping his fame at a certain level to help fund other ventures could very well be taking a toll, West admitted, "When you tryna keep up with the [MTV "Hottest MCs In the Game"] list, and write all these raps, but you also tryna learn about clothing, [and] you got a whole 'hood calling you a f-g for even liking clothes….Then you got America, the President constantly attacking you, then you got people constantly overcharging you at all times."
Later, in the near 40-minute sit-down, the new father spoke about his latest album and leaving G.O.O.D. Music artists Pusha T and Big Sean off his Yeezus tour. He also denied rumors that he encouraged fans to boycott Louis Vuitton. "I wouldn't tell nobody to boycott a brand that ain't nobody even thinkin' 'bout no more," the onetime "Louis Vuitton Don" said. "That brand old, I wouldn't say boycott that brand. I'm talking about some relevancy."
West closed out the interview vowing to be the "Tupac of clothing," and then spit a playful freestyle — with no rhymes.
BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
(Photos from left: Lenny Abbot, PacificCoastNews.com, WENN)
- Ayesha Curry And Steph Curry Are Pregnant With Baby No. 4Ayesha shared the news while posing on the cover of her online magazine, Sweet July.03/01/2024
- Terrence Howard Faces $903,115 Tax Bill Amidst Claims of Injustice and Slavery LegacyThe actor cited “Four hundred years of forced labor and never receiving any compensation for it,” as part of his decision to avoid paying his taxes.03/01/2024
- Nas Joins Resort World's $5 Billion Casino Expansion In QueensThe vision of Aqueduct Park is to transform the casino, in the legendary rapper's hometown, into a full-fledged establishment that mirrors the company's properties in Las Vegas.03/01/2024
- ‘A Different World’ Cast Reunites For Epic 10-City HBCU TourThe crew from the beloved sitcom is back to promote enrollment at HBCUs and raise money for scholarships.03/01/2024
- Idris Elba Reveals How He Discovered His Role On ‘The Wire’ Was EndingStringer Bell, played by the British actor, is one of the most memorable characters from the iconic show.03/01/2024
- Kanye West Calls Out Ex-Wife Kim Kardashian, Demands She Removes Their Kids From LA-Based School“It’s a fake school for celebrities that are used by ‘the system,’” said Yeezy.03/01/2024