Actor Hill Harper recently announced he’s thrown in his hat to be the next U.S. Senator representing Michigan. Hill Harper joins a list of celebrities who have attempted to dive into politics — a transition that is not always easy. Can people remove your celebrity persona from being an elected official? Here are some stars who tried to be your representative.
Known primarily as a rapper and music producer, Kanye West announced his candidacy for President of the United States in the 2020 election. He obviously wasn't successful but is reportedly considering a run in 2024.
Wyclef Jean, a Haitian-American musician and member of the Fugees, attempted to run for President of Haiti in the 2010 election. However, his candidacy was disqualified by the Haitian electoral officials.
Stacey Dash, an actress best known for her role in the movie "Clueless," announced her candidacy for a congressional seat in California's 44th district in 2018. However, she withdrew from the race a month later.
Uncle Luke (Luther Campbell)
Luther Campbell, also known as Uncle Luke, is a rapper, producer, and former member of the group 2 Live Crew. He ran for Mayor of Miami-Dade County, Florida, in 2011 but ultimately withdrew from the race.
- Carl Lewis is a retired Olympic athlete and track and field star. He ran as a Democrat for a seat in the New Jersey Senate in 2011, but was disqualified from the ballot due to residency requirements.
Scarface From The Geto Boys
In 2019, Geto Boys member Scarface (born Brad Jordan) was running to serve on the Houston, Texas City Council. Scarface came close. The election went to a runoff but he lost to Carolyn Evans-Shabazz.
In 2015, rapper and activist Killer Mike, known for his thought-provoking lyrics and social commentary, announced his candidacy for political office in Georgia's 55th District. However, shortly after announcing he would run, he said he was unable to run because he did not complete the required paperwork. Since then, he has remained close to politicians like Bernie Sanders and had a controversial meeting with Republican Georgia Governor Brian Kemp.
Herschel Walker was an NFL superstar and a Heisman Trophy winner. With no experience in politics, in 2022, he won the Republican nomination for the United States Senate in Georgia. But he ultimately lost to incumbent Democrat Raphael Warnock. Walker's campaign was one of the most bizarre in history -- accusations of domestic violence, paying for abortions, incoherent interviews and a string of alleged lies that were impossible to track.
- Dylan Dilinjah Says Dave Chappelle’s Classic ‘Making the Band’ Sketch Ruined His CareerThe Brooklyn rapper said that the skit made it hard to get his career off the ground.03/04/2024
- Beyoncé Shares How She Shops Incognito At TargetIn a recent interview, the 32-time Grammy winner shared how she goes undetected at her favorite retail store.03/04/2024
- Scottie Pippen And Larsa Pippen Sued For $250 Million By His Alleged Ex-Girlfriend For Stalking And HarassmentChyvette Valentine claims she dated the former Chicago Bulls player between 1987 and 1993.03/04/2024
- Twin! Where Have You Been?! Muni Long Surprises And Inspires Screaming Brooklyn StudentsThe viral “Made For Me” singer stuns unsuspecting Brooklyn students.03/04/2024
- Rihanna Performs At Wedding In India For Multi-Billionaire HeirRiRi rocked the house while looking stunning per usual.03/04/2024
- Terry Crews Opens Up About Beating His Abusive Father On 'Club Shay Shay'The actor shared a big lesson on forgiveness and healing.03/04/2024